The Law and Public Safety Program prepares students for a career in Law enforcement Services. This program will also help prepare students to further their education in the criminal justice field giving them an advantage over other candidates within the field.
This program allows students to gain knowledge and skills needed to be successful in the police academy, a law enforcement career, and/or a criminal justice pathway.
What are the classes about?
- This course is designed to present foundational principles of Public Safety Leadership.
- Students utilize problem-solving techniques and participate in hands-on activities to develop an understanding of course concepts.
- The principles and procedures used in criminal investigation will be introduced including procedures for implementing criminal law.
- Courses will examine the philosophical issues and applications of the objectives and processes of Public Safety Leadership including; Constitutional limitations; accountability; civil liability; criminal investigation; criminal procedure; and forensics.
What skills will students learn?
- Physical training in preparation for WV State Police Academy as well as ability to perform physical coordination skills including handcuffing and defensive tactics
- Use of law enforcement weapons like ASP baton, OC spray, and firearms
- Report writing, legal terminology
What Certifications are available?
- American Red Cross First Aid
- American Red Cross CPR
What jobs/job titles are available to the students after graduation?
Sample of job titles upon completion of the Program of Study: Police Officer, State Trooper, Alcohol Beverage Control Administration, Dispatcher, Security Officer, Campus Security Officer, Loss Prevention Officer, Correctional Officer
What work skills will be needed for these jobs?
- Good reading skills and written/verbal communication skills
- Ability to keep calm in a crisis
- Ability to perform moderate to heavy physical activity
What skills should a student have to be successful in your program?
Students interested in Law & Public Safety at PCTC should have good motor skills, strong focus, ability to lift heavy loads, be patient and compassionate. Students will also need to be drug free.